Mask mandates lead to lower rates of coronavirus hospitalizations, Vanderbilt researchers find

October 29, 2020 at 01:33

Areas of Tennessee where residents regularly wear masks in public have seen notably smaller increases in COVID-19 hospitalizations since June, researchers at the Vanderbilt University School of Medicine found. Just over half of Tennesseans, 54%, live in a c...

Coronavirus mask use up overall, still lags among younger generations, CDC finds

October 28, 2020 at 20:50

While Americans increased their reported mask use between April and June, other mitigation measures dropped or saw little improvement, according to a report from the Centers for Disease and Control and Prevention (CDC). Younger people reported less mask use...

Rapid coronavirus spread in this city leaves contact tracers unable to track all cases

October 28, 2020 at 19:46

Cases are of the novel coronavirus are climbing so fast in one city that officials can no longer trace all cases, according to a local report. Philadelphia last week reported an average of nearly 300 new coronavirus cases per day, marking the highest averag...

Average daily coronavirus cases in North Carolina reach new high

October 28, 2020 at 18:14

North Carolina on Wednesday reached a new high in daily coronavirus cases, according to a local report. Average new daily cases of COVID-19 reached 2,221 in the Tar Heel State on Wednesday, local news station WRAL reported. The new high comes after three re...

Teen beats coronavirus after allegedly facing 1% chance of survival

October 28, 2020 at 16:48

A 16-year-old Arkansas teen who at one point was reportedly given just a 1% chance of survival has recovered from the coronavirus after a two-week ICU stay. “There was a 99% chance she was not going to survive, which as a parent, that’s hard to listen to,”...

Wedding guests warned of coronavirus exposure following New York event: officials

October 28, 2020 at 16:46

Attendees of a recent wedding in New York may have been exposed to the novel coronavirus, according to local health officials. Those who attended an Oct. 17 wedding in Claredon, N.Y., located about an hour from Buffalo, may have been exposed. The wedding’s...

Sanofi, GSK to provide coronavirus vaccine to global coalition

October 28, 2020 at 15:51

Drugmakers Sanofi and GlaxoSmithKline have agreed to provide 200 million doses of their potential COVID-19 vaccine to the COVAX Facility, a collaboration designed to give countries around the world equal access to coronavirus vaccines. The Sanofi-GSK vaccin...

Postpartum depression may last 3 years after childbirth, study finds

October 28, 2020 at 15:29

Intense sadness, hopelessness and anxiety among new mothers may last up to three years after childbirth, according to a new study. The National Institutes of Health (NIH) says postpartum depression may persist after the recommended timeline for screening, c...

Arkansas reports first flu death of the season

October 28, 2020 at 15:10

As several areas of the country struggle to contain surging cases of the novel coronavirus, another infectious disease poses a threat to many: the seasonal flu, which has already killed at least one person in Arkansas. The Arkansas Department of Health in i...

Cluster of coronavirus cases among college's soccer teams highlights mitigation challenges: CDC

October 28, 2020 at 15:07

A cluster of coronavirus cases among members of a college’s men’s and women’s soccer teams who had been required to test negative for the illness before reporting to preseason this summer demonstrates the need for periodic repeat testing and improvement in...

Prescription head lice lotion gets approval for over-the-counter use

October 28, 2020 at 14:07

A head lice lotion that was initially approved by the FDA for prescription use will now be available over-the-counter. The FDA approved Sklice lotion, with 0.5% ivermectin, for non-prescription use in patients 6 months and older after the company proved it...

Start screenings for colorectal cancer at age 45, panel advises

October 27, 2020 at 20:16

A panel of national experts on Tuesday advised earlier screenings for colorectal cancer, (colon cancer) starting at age 45 instead of 50. The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force says people aged 45 to 75 should undergo screenings as a preventative measure,...

Coronavirus hospitalizations in this state just reached another record high

October 27, 2020 at 19:02

Coronavirus-related hospitalizations in one state in the Midwest, an area of the country that is currently seeing a surge of new COVID-19 cases, have reached a record high — again. Iowa on Tuesday reported some 564 hospitalizations, an increase from Monday'...

Coronavirus reportedly behind death of University of Dayton freshman

October 27, 2020 at 18:27

An 18-year-old University of Dayton freshman has died from complications related to COVID-19, according to a report. Michael John Lang, 18, of LaGrange, Ill., died earlier this month following a lengthy hospital stay “apparently due to complications from CO...

Diet drinks linked to same heart issues as sweetened beverages, study says

October 27, 2020 at 18:19

Artificially sweetened drinks may not be a healthier option after all, with a new study finding an increased risk of heart issues. Results stemmed from the French NutriNet-Santé study with over 104,000 participants and their dietary records, completed every...

EU won’t see full coronavirus vaccination until 2022, official reportedly warns

October 27, 2020 at 17:15

Despite several deals securing more than 1 billion doses of a potential coronavirus vaccine, government officials do not expect to be able to vaccinate the full European Union population until 2022, officials reportedly said at a meeting on Monday. “There w...

US sees rise in coronavirus deaths — again

October 27, 2020 at 17:11

Coronavirus deaths in the U.S. are on the rise once again. The average number of deaths per day is up 10% over the last two weeks, the Associated Press reported, citing data from Johns Hopkins University. As of Sunday, deaths were up from 721 to nearly 794....

Study suggests coronavirus immunity drops after 3 months

October 27, 2020 at 17:11

A new study suggests immunity to coronavirus may drop over several months. Over 365,000 people across England took finger prick tests from late June to September, as part of Imperial College London’s Real-time Assessment of Community Transmission (REACT) st...

Nurses comprise most coronavirus hospitalizations among health care workers, CDC says

October 27, 2020 at 15:39

Nurses comprised the highest percentage of coronavirus hospitalizations over other types of health care personnel, says a new report from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Of over 6,000 adults who were hospitalized with coronavirus betwe...

Coronavirus may cause cognitive decline in some patients, study suggests

October 27, 2020 at 15:15

Patients who recover from coronavirus may suffer from cognitive issues post-infection, particularly those who develop a severe case of the illness, a new study suggests. The study, which is not yet peer-reviewed, analyzed data from 84,285 Great British Inte...